What Is Wrong With A Daughter Growing A Man Up?



"Feeling better than some head on a Sunday afternoon, better than a chick that says yes too soon, until you have a daughter that's what I call karma and you pray to God she don't go breasts too soon."


The above lyric probably encapsulates so many guys' feelings towards fatherhood and raising a daughter. This was also a line from a song prior to Kanye having a daughter. That tells you that men anticipate the heightened consciousness that having a daughter can bring. It's pretty much proverbial that men have these wild out phases of their lives. In the midst of that, some would suppose that men are also at their peak of objectifying women.

We've had about two weeks to digest... or not digest "Ye."


 I've always thought for a number of years now that Kanye West was the most polarizing figure in entertainment. Prior to his latest album release, nothing could continue to be more true. After a dismal appearance on TMZ Live, Ye releases. It debuts at number one but many of my contemporaries decided not to give it a listen and understandably so.

I gave the listen simply off of the strength that Daytona was such a dope production.


I wanted to hear what other sonics Kanye had up his sleeve. Ye ends with a track called "Violent Crimes." It sort of serves as an "ah ha" moment for those of us that have followed Kanye's music through the years. He exclaims on the song that "now I see women as something to nurture, not something to conquer." It's that bar that I think elicited a huge reaction on Twitter.

Black women spoke out vehemently against the issue with Black men objectifying women until they had a little one of their own. They didn't think that it was right and many thought that there shouldn't be any excuse for that behavior. Well, I agree. We, as men should be raised to see women more than beyond the surface. That is the ideal and I think as we mature that should be a standard we set for the men we will one day raise.

My issue with the vitriol spewed Kanye's way is my issue with folks not giving other folks room to grow.


I know that there is something wrong with men womanizing women and suddenly feeling like them having a daughter was some sort of lesson for them to straighten up. No child should be seen as a consequence of your indiscretion. Everyone cannot have children which is why children are widely viewed as blessings.

My mentality is of the school that I rather someone come to a higher understanding than to not. I much rather Kanye see the fault in those behaviors rather than to keep the mentality that he had prior. I know that his controversial and idiotic social commentary  set a precedent to how folks would receive his new work. But we also can't do anything about how a person used to think. We can only implore them to share their growth with other men in hopes of being a conduit for change.

How do you feel about this type of thing? Are you sick of this narrative of guys only growing up once they have a daughter? Share your thoughts.

These are my words and I make no apologies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does The "WYD Guy" Exist and How Do We Get Rid of Him?

Maybe Men Are Trash

Maybe A Man Should Love A Woman More Than She Loves Him?