Living In The Past




Above all else this post is about my maturation as a man. I take it as a responsibility to let my readers know of when I feel inspired to say something. It's important to me to challenge guys in my age group, and open their minds up. I'm going to go on a self inflicted tangent but trust me, it will all tie together in the end. In college I became a big fan of philosophy. Being a Psychology major I thought it was a good way to push my thinking. If you know me you know that I can be quite analytical, I love making complex what may seem so simple. In that mindset as well philosophy always begs to question. To me it was the devil's advocate for life. My favorite philosopher was Nietzsche. Many people aren't fans of him due to the fact that he was an atheist. Now I'm personally not an atheist, and I have nothing against anyone who is. As far as I'm concerned we'll all find out the truth sooner or later lol (Not really lol; I like life). But I see past his religious beliefs and i pay attention to his protest so to speak. To put things in perspective, Nietzsche made his claims that there was no God in a time when almost all philosophers believed that there was. My point is that Nietzsche challenged popular opinions or thought. And in that still made great points. It takes balls to be remembered for such things, and it takes balls to make close claims initially. Well with that being said, I think it's my job to challenge popular opinion as well. To me that's the only way we'll all grow and maybe by the end of this post some of us (men and women) will stop living in the past.

Do not ever mistake me being critical of men as "bashing." We're all growing and we all could stand to use advice from time to time. I think men as a whole have been sucked into this vicious cycle of labeling women based on their past. When I allude to "their past" I'm talking about past relations someone has had with someone. You may find this thinking more prevalent on college campuses or in high schools or some workplaces. I think once again you need to put things in perspective. I'll start off by saying you don't know everyone's story and sadly enough there's simply many women who've been exploited because of circumstances beyond their control growing up. These women are trying to find their way through life like anyone else and simply lose discretion in the process. Now am i speaking for all women? Absolutely not some women enjoy wilding out and more power to them, but I feel the vast majority fall into the category I aforementioned.

Now please hear me out.  You can meet a woman years after her collegiate years, and she could have the most checkered past but in that moment of first interaction all you know of her is what she tells you. What does a woman's past mean if she isn't that woman anymore? In essence it really means nothing. I think we as men have a bad habit of of holding a woman's past against them. We also have a bad habit of feeling entitled to old joints when really that ball is in her court.

You're going to do what you want to do, but what I want you to know is that the bubble of work, or the bubble of school means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. All too often the pot calls the kettle black...when the pot might even be burnt (see what I did there?). Everyone can't be squeaky clean, it's those experiences that lead us to who we become; hopefully great people. Men have a habit to holding ourselves to different standards. We are essentially as bad as the "biggest hoe" but how we've been socialized through history wouldn't agree with that. But I challenge that thinking. You ever tell a girl the amount of bodies you've had? Have you ever honestly told someone? Well depending on the number the face she gives may be out right repulsive. It's not a good feeling if you see that, and you wouldn't want to be judged. Especially if that was your past, you probably think what does that have to do with you? Well how do you think these women feel when you judge their past without knowing their story?

Life is too short for the judgment. My goal was to make you become introspective after you read this. Find someone who respects you, treats you good and makes you happy. If someone has grown and changed things that they've wanted to change then why continue bringing up things that no longer have any validity? What does what someone's college life mean when they're 27 working as a professor or something? Not much. So take it easy on these ladies, get to know them and understand you could've just as easily been a woman than a man. We don't choose the hand we're dealt but we're all looked to win the game. This may not be popular opinion, but fuck it it's my blog and my opinion.

Be good 







Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this post. I would even go as far as saying I could possibly be one of those women who had a tad too much "fun" in college but now, life after college is completely different. People grow and people change. Those 3-4yrs in college end up being such a small part of who we become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so refreshing to see someone finally cutting the ladies some slack. There is an immense double standard for women and how they are judged according to their life experiences.

    I try not to judge, because we were not all brought up on the same moral code, nor were we all granted the luxury of having all of our emotional needs met early in life. I say that to say many women often lose discretion in early intimate relationships because they are seeking affection, attention, nurturing, or some other void to be met.

    That is why it is so important that we as a community do more to uplift our women. While men are encouraged to sow their wild oats, the women they are out sowing them with receive tarnished reputations. We are, after all, more than our sexual selves. When we begin to be viewed as more than that, society will be a happier place to live in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does The "WYD Guy" Exist and How Do We Get Rid of Him?

Maybe Men Are Trash

Maybe A Man Should Love A Woman More Than She Loves Him?