Settling And Settling Oh.....And Settling


I had a world of time to play with my own thoughts today. After a staggering 3 hours in a dental office accompanying my grandfather for some extraction I had some time to think. Music and playing on your phone get a little old after all that time so I decided to just stop everything and wait patiently for him to be seen. So the sounds of Nostrand Avenue became the soundtrack to my thoughts, and as usual I began thinking of past situations with myself and past situations with friends. I always aim to make distinctions that I believe go unnoticed. Something I surprised myself thinking of was the idea of settling.

The term settling (as in settling for someone) is pretty vague when you think about it. I say that because I believe you can settle in about 4 ways.

4 ways of settling:

Lifestyle- Settling in terms of lifestyle I would define as settling for someone who makes life a lot easier for you financially. This kind of settling can also include someone who doesn't share a same passion for religion or someone who doesn't prioritize health and what not. You may settle for a myriad of reasons; those reasons might be the other two types of settling that follow.

Personality- You may feel you are settling for someone because of their personality. They may be great people but you may have other demands or preferences that aren't being met for whatever reason. You can quite possibly be with a shitty person but you end up staying because they give you other amenities.

Physical- I would say this is the most common and we all have done this. We settle for what looks good. We settle for the brand new car outside but a lemon inside. Some of the best looking joints aren't all they're cracked up to be, but not for nothing there are some that do it all. My point is you can't get around this facet without being somewhat shallow....oh well right?

Situational- Settling for what is the present. Settling in this situation may involve some give and take. You want more someone else wants less. It's a typical situation that I myself have been on both sides of. I think these situations are temporary but they're truly temporary for the one who wants less. I say this because they have a more clear idea of when they would want more. The settler is left always having to take what is said to them at face value. The only way you as a settler is okay in this situation is if you truly trust and don't have past experiences influence this one.

What I want to get across is that we will have to settle in some areas sometimes. Now too much of one thing is good for nothing; so if you're settling way too much in way too many areas then you need to hit that fall back button . I believe that you can't bend much when it relates to lifestyle settling or personality settling. You want to be in a healthy situation in which you aren't being taking advantage of. Chances are if you feel you are settling for someone then there's a disparity somewhere. You have to verbalize this and you have to trust; truly viscerally trust. If you can't do any of that you won't be maximizing your potential for happiness. These are only my opinions, what other ways do you see people or yourself settling?

Be Good


Comments

  1. I think we all settle at one point or so. We get comfortable, should I say? Knowing this, when do we settle, bc as humans we always want more. How do you know when enough is...just that Enough!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does The "WYD Guy" Exist and How Do We Get Rid of Him?

Maybe Men Are Trash

Maybe A Man Should Love A Woman More Than She Loves Him?