Refined Tastes


I firmly believe as you get older and experience some things your mindset changes some as well. The greatest players have to adjust their game as they get older in order to still stay productive. We as men and women, athletes or not are no different. At about 12 or 13 years old my idea of the perfect girl was what I and my friend Terrence coined "The 4 B's." These "B's" were breast,booty,brains, and beauty. Jocular now, but we were dead serious back then. Of course this simply shows some ignorance of our age but nevertheless when you never been emotionally involved with someone it seems that simple.

At every level of my life my taste has changed somewhat. Things that once mattered heavily to me may not matter as much now, and some things that didn't do. I'm well aware 9 years later that no breast and no booty doesn't mean a girl ain't perfect for me. Conversely maybe there is one woman with breast and booty it is lol. All jokes aside I think you have to grow and who you're attracted to or rather be involved with should reflect that growth. At this point I've had all kinds of experiences with different kinds of women, I long left the small cubicle of the "4 B's." I think this was all for the better that I open up my mind, which is good for all of us. Now that I'm older I look for a little more. My mother once told me that whoever I decided to get serious with I needed to make sure we were similar kinds of people. What she meant was that is if someone as as ambitious as I was or we had similar ways of thinking then they would understand why I do things the way I did etc. I never understood it when she first told me; I thought hey if you like someone what should it matter if you all have different ways of approaching things? But it made sense to me as I grew and had different priorities I began to look at how my counterparts viewed their priorities and what sacrifices they were willing to make to see them through. That one facet makes a world of difference.

My point today is to like what you like and love what you want to love in reason. You want to have your blueprint for whatever you like but also take into account some of the more important things. Some important things to you may be physical, maybe it isn't. My advice is to choose someone who you don't have to compromise what you like too much for in terms of their qualities. Who ever comes next should be a step up from the last. When I refer to a step up I'm mainly referring to how you are treated,respected and what that person has going for themselves. If you have compromised any of those things and the fundamentals are a step down from the last then you haven't refined your taste.

Get a little older and get a little smarter.

Comments

  1. I always enjoy coming to this page and reading your post Lil...fo real. But the thing that sold me was that picture you have of that slice of cake! I'm a sucker for sweets! LOL But It's funny how I was having this same convo with my 'counterpart' not too long ago and we were saying the same things. Physical is cool but beauty fades, so when the outside gets boring or old then what else do we have to look forward to. I am an advocate for this post. There are too many things that we need to consider aside from looks. And those things are the actual building blocks of a solid relationship! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yea that's tiramisu, that's my thing. I'm glad you always leave ya two cents, if you dig it then I know something I'm saying is poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao @ the 4 B's...well I guess I have 2 out of the 4. wahhh :( lol

    I can relate to this post completely. I had a *very* distinct type of guy I wanted way back when (like it was ridiculous. A two-page long list) and I realized as I got older that just bc a guy didn't have all of those things it didn't mean they weren't my match. And just because they DID it didn't mean they were the ish.

    I'm glad you wrote this bc I feel like guys your age really need to read it and grow the hell up, excuse my language lol. D

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl cuss away on my page nuh! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made some great points in this post Dr. Lil. The older we get the more "grown" we (hopefully) end up becoming. That same fly person we met at 18 may not seem so fly at age 25 when you realize that you need more than beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does The "WYD Guy" Exist and How Do We Get Rid of Him?

Maybe Men Are Trash

Maybe A Man Should Love A Woman More Than She Loves Him?