Lessons Learned


Today I got back from Canada and my family's 13th Bi- annual reunion. This was my 3rd consecutive one which is a new record for me,lol. I feel so good to have been apart of this one. This reunion marked to me a new phase in my life. The premise of us going to Canada was really a sentimental thing. Back in 1989 the first official reunion was i Canada, and since then it has not been in Canada. So it was great that I was at the first one as a new born, and now 20 years later a grown man, that's my personal thing. But the family's real reason for going back to Canada was to really visit that side of the family's oldest living member who could no longer attend the other reunions in other places due to health reasons. This man i was sure didn't remember me... but he actually did. It kinda suprised me but also made me feel good. He had this great sense of humor even in his state, and I felt good to be one of the people to bring him some happiness in wake of all his other things. But not to harp on that Canada marked what I would call my cousin's and my coming out party. We were all at the point where we're in school, we're older, and as i so eloquently put it, "we doin big man tings!!" It was great to bond with the fam for a week, it was even beter that the drinking age was 19 lol. Another great thing was seeing my little cosins come up, being apart of one of their first traveling experiences where they would actually remember some of it. I remember being that age and looking up to my cousins, and it's so surreal that now I am that cousin. Kinda puts things in perspective. This trip also reminded me to appreciate the smaller things and love yourself so you can love your family. although one of the smaller reunions in terms of attendance, this reunion had high sentimental value and was one of the best. i encourage all of you to reach out to your family that reach out to you, support each other and realize how special of a thing family can really be.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does The "WYD Guy" Exist and How Do We Get Rid of Him?

Maybe Men Are Trash

"Whom"