Ruth Jean-Marie Co-Creates Sneaker With Nike That Honors Haiti's Legacy As The First Black Republic


November 1st, 2019 marked the release of the highly anticipated Nike Uprising sneaker created by Ruth Jean-Marie. The Nike Uprising celebrates Haitian heritage as being the first Black republic. I had the opportunity to sit down with the multifaceted Ruth Jean-Marie. We spoke about her love of sneaker culture, how in the hell she was able to design a signature sneaker, and what significance the colorway has among other details. Check it out below!


How does one get the opportunity to create a signature sneaker Ruth?

I won a competition with We Are Cultivator x Nike to express gratitude. I, of course, am grateful for the audacity of my ancestors. Winners got to design a sneaker commensurate with what we're grateful for. I designed the sneaker after the uniforms worn by Haitian revolutionaries. Our sneakers launch 11/1 and are limited edition; they'll be available for ten days.


So now we know what influenced the actual colorway for the sneaker. What is your connection to fashion and sneaker culture in general?

My love for sneaker culture comes from growing up in Brooklyn, specifically at a time where people were still waiting in line for sneakers en masse (I didn't but I did work at Modell's, shopped at the perfume, fitted, sneaker shops on Fulton and frequented S&D Underground and other stores on Flatbush almost everyday before heading home). Uptowns were the thing. I literally used to refuse to bend my toes when I walked because I didn't want deep creases (side note: I would get every single blue and white uptown). Sneakers/footwear were and continue to be the measurement of style, your decision making skills (chuckles) and your ability to rock them. They're a conversation topic, a point of joy--yes. I get happy looking at my footwear collection, i t reminds me of a modicum of my childhood and early adulthood. It's a subculture that requires intent. I love the story behind sneakers, the aesthetic, the comfort and the exclusivity of a certain culture. The fact that I now get to design a sneaker, convey a story, and hopefully get to bear witness of others' appreciation for my artistry is humbling.


Ruth is also much more than a pretty face and millennial fashionista. She is a Brooklyn-based freelance writer and founder of The August Project, a start up philanthropy aimed at alleviating poverty in Leogane, Haiti. As mentioned prior, the Nike Uprising is a limited edition release. You can buy these kicks here until November 10th, 2019. 50% of all profits from this release will be donated to The August Project, whose aim is to take a millennial approach to an age-old issue. 

Be a part of the movement, or should I say, be a part of the Uprising!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does The "WYD Guy" Exist and How Do We Get Rid of Him?

Maybe Men Are Trash

Maybe A Man Should Love A Woman More Than She Loves Him?